What to Know About Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is known as the silent killer for a reason—it can easily go undetected and cause illness and even death. It’s critical to learn how to prevent carbon monoxide leaks in your Winston-Salem home—as well as what the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are in case you are exposed.
Sutton Brothers has all the answers to your carbon monoxide questions. As a leading heating and cooling company here in North Carolina, we are committed to keeping you comfortable and safe inside your home. You can trust our team to provide you the information you need to remain safe from dangers like carbon monoxide leaks.
What Is Carbon Monoxide and How Could I Be Exposed to It Inside My Home?
Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas. It is released when something is burned—so your boiler, furnace, water heater, car, grill, dryer, fireplace, chimney, and many other household appliances could be a source.
You may experience a carbon monoxide leak as a result of fuel failing to burn completely or even by leaving your car running for an extended period in an enclosed space like your garage.
What Are the Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Exposure to carbon monoxide prevents oxygen from reaching your tissues and organs, ultimately depriving your body of it. The higher the levels of carbon monoxide in the air and the longer your exposure to it, the more severe the outcome can be.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning is responsible for 400 deaths, 20,000 emergency room visits, and 4,000 hospitalizations in the United States each year.
Some of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning to watch out for include:
- Shortness of breath
- Vision trouble
- Loss of consciousness
How Can I Reduce the Risk of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Using home appliances and systems as designed, in addition to taking proper care of them by opting for routine maintenance, can help you reduce the risk of carbon monoxide forming and leaking into your home.
You can also install carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home. An alarm will go off and promptly inform you when carbon monoxide is present, allowing you to get out of your home before further exposure and call for help.
Other ways to prevent exposure to carbon monoxide include:
- Installing, repairing, and maintaining all major appliances properly.
- Routinely inspecting and performing safety checks on your heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system and water heater.
- Using generators, camping stoves, and gas or charcoal grills outside only and away from doors or windows leading to your home.
- Never leaving your vehicle running in the garage—even if the garage door is open.
- Never using a gas oven for heat or burning anything in your stove or fireplace without proper ventilation.
Contact Our Carbon Monoxide Detection Experts
When it comes to protecting your safety and health inside your Winston-Salem, NC, home, our Sutton Brothers professionals are here for you. Whether you’re in need of carbon monoxide detector installation, heating and cooling services, or improving your indoor air quality (IAQ), trust in our experts. Call us today at 336-390-3902 or request service online